Meaningful Ways to Commemorate September 11th
Seventeen years ago today, the world looked on in horror as the World Trade Center, The Pentagon and United Flight 93 fell victim to the largest terrorist attack ever to take place on American soil. Today, while we as a nation still bear the terrible emotional scars of this tragedy, we reflect on the precious lives lost and the best ways in which we can memorialize them and the events that took place on that fateful day in September 2001. Here are a few simple things you can do to commemorate 9/11.
- Many local communities have erected memorials to honor those lost on 9/11. Find the one closest to you and participate in a vigil or candle-lighting ceremony to remember the victims, first-responders, military and civilians who were affected by the day's events.
- Fly your flag at half-staff to remember the precious lives lost. If you are flying your flag on a shorter pole that doesn't enable you to fly it at half-staff, attach a mourning bow to the top of the pole to show your respect.
- There are countless charities and events, like 5k runs or stair climbs, that support the families of those who lost their lives on 9/11 or as a result of 9/11-related illnesses. Participate and donate! Any money raised goes a long way toward easing the pain these families carry with them.
- September 11th National Day of Service and Remembrance promotes community service on 9/11 as a an annual and forward-looking tribute to the 9/11 victims, survivors and those who rose up in service in response to the attacks. Find a volunteer opportunity today.
- Share your memories of 9/11 with your loved ones and talk to your children about the events that took place. Reflect and practice gratitude for the selfless acts of heroism, bravery and compassion that were on display by citizens, law enforcement, firefighters, and service members.
My Wish List
- The American Flag 101 (21)
- Holidays & Special Occasions (8)
- Military History and Flags (20)
- American Heritage (60)
- July 4th / Independence Day (4)
- Flags at Sea (9)
- International Flags (13)
- Banners (14)
- Crests (3)
- AmericanFlags.com News (31)
- American Flag History (34)
- Patriotic Decorating (47)
- State Flag Information (23)
- Honoring Our Veterans (30)
- World Flag Info (7)
- Flag Etiquette Articles (31)
- News about our American Flag (10)
americanflags.com american flag swimsuit flag day 2013 patriotic decorations flag day americana decor colorado flag come and take it indoor flags boston flag city of boston flag boston marathon boston marathon bombing gonzalez flag colorado state flag scott compton stomping on flag chapin high school armed forces day armed forces day 2013 allison collins come and take it flag half-staff alert flags in michigan girl scouts flag day history americanflags.com free shipping palm beach county american flag bikini navy day american flag etiquette american flag bathing suit brett shadle navy seal osama bin laden navy seals us armed forces veterans flag us navy support our veterans flag whiskey rebellion flag ant-flag rules flag permits hypoluxo flag flag flag code thin blue line flag donald trump flag flap hawaii flag hawaii state flag earth day flag