12 Postage Stamps to Add Panache to Your Wedding Invitations
12 Postage Stamps to Add Panache to Your Wedding Invitations
There are many things to think about when planning your wedding – the décor, the ceremony, the music…the dress! One thing you will likely spend many hours contemplating is your wedding invitation. This is often the first glimpse your guests will see of what to expect at your wedding, and you want to wow them!
After selecting the perfect invitation, invest a little more time to make sure the envelope looks just as great as its contents. Design every aspect of your invitation to perfection with some of these great ideas to tie your stamp in with your wedding theme.
When you are ready to send out those gorgeous invitations, there are a couple of extra steps to take before simply buying stamps and sticking them on your envelopes. Wedding invitations are typically constructed of heavier, thicker paper. They also usually contain more than one sheet of paper.
It is best to take an invitation to the post office to be weighed. You may need more than one stamp per envelope.
Once you’ve purchased and applied your correct postage, there is one more step you can take to ensure your invitations arrive looking beautiful. Instead of dropping your stamped invitations in a mailbox, you can bring them to the post office to be hand-cancelled. When envelopes are hand-cancelled, they are not run through the rough machinery of the postal service.
Instead, a post office employee hand stamps the “cancellation” mark over the stamp. This is definitely best for thick envelopes or envelopes with wax seals. Hand-cancelling ensures your invitation will arrive completely intact.
Stamps We Love
The postal service is continually adding and changing the stamps that are available, and we think your wedding invitation deserves a unique stamp. Therefore, we’ve rounded up 12 of our favorites.
1. Skywriting: This adorable stamp features an airplane writing the word love across the sky. It is a perfect choice for couples who love to travel, or even for a bride or groom who is a pilot.
The light blue color of the sky background will also go nicely with a pastel color envelope or calligraphy. It is a 49 cent Forever stamp, so the extras will be great to stick on your thank you notes after the wedding.
2.Forever Hearts: Calling all classic brides – this is the stamp for you! It features the word forever written in the shape of a heart in cute, curly writing.
The white writing and curlicue design really pops against the red background. This stamp would really complement a Valentine’s wedding invitation or a wedding with a classic red and white color theme.
3. Oscar de la Renta: This haute couture stamp set was released this year to commemorate the fashion icon himself. The stamps are gorgeous, featuring patterns and snapshots from some of his most memorable gowns. Each stamp is worth 49 cents postage, and since there are 10 different stamps in the set, you can mix and match if extra postage is needed.
4. Star Trek: Let your geek flag fly in a subtle way! This special stamp set features different symbols from the Star Trek universe that will satisfy even the most avid fan.
It’s the perfect touch for a Trekkie couple that wants to incorporate their favorite franchise into the wedding day. It’s another great set to mix and match for the right amount of postage, too.
5. Wonder Woman: You probably feel like Wonder Woman after planning the perfect wedding, all while handling all the other aspects of your day-to-day life. This stamp set pays tribute to the comic book character who broke the male-dominated mold 75 years ago.
Perfect for a couple who loves comic books or just a tongue-in-cheek nod to the bride who does it all, the Wonder Woman stamp set will definitely put a smile on your guests’ faces when they receive your invitation.
6. Patriotic Flag: The American flag is the proud symbol of our nation and its heritage, and it can be the perfect addition to your wedding invitation envelope. If your wedding takes place on a patriotic holiday, like July 4th, Memorial Day or Veterans’ Day, an American flag stamp is a perfect nod to the holiday without committing to a full patriotic theme. There are a couple of American flag designs available, so you can choose whichever one you like the best.
7. Patriotic Spiral: Love the stars and stripes, but don’t want to commit to the flag theme? This patriotic stamp is the perfect ‘happy medium’.
The red and blue stars on a white background are cute and cheerful, and the gold star in the center adds a touch of elegance. Whether you’re having an Independence Day wedding, or just love a patriotic touch, this adorable stamp will be the perfect finishing touch for your invitations.
8. Hanukkah Menorah: The Festival of Lights is the perfect season for a wedding, and these holiday stamps will get your guests in the mood for a celebration. The warm candlelight on a wintry background will look great on any envelope. Send your invitations out with a little holiday cheer.
9. Christmas Window: A cozy winter wedding at Christmas is always beautiful! If you are going to brave a little snow for your “I do’s,” send out your invitations with a little Christmas cheer. The postal service has created a beautiful stamp that features a snow-covered wreath with a perfect red bow that will be just right for your invitations.
10. Service Cross Medals: This stamp collection features the Service Cross Medals from each branch of the military – the highest honor bestowed by individual branches of the military. Any family who has service members will appreciate the thoughtful touch of the medals on wedding invitations.
11. Custom: Believe it or not, you can create your own stamps! Thanks to some USPS-approved online stationary sites, you can create real U.S. postage with your own image or custom designed logo. This is the perfect way to create an invitation that is completely fresh and unexpected.
12. Vintage: If you love trolling antique and vintage stores for amazing treasures, you may want to go the route of vintage postage. Many antique stores offer collections of antique stamps that have not been canceled or used.
You’ll find so many unique and beautiful designs from days gone by. As long as they are official U.S. postage, you can use these stamps to send out your invitations.
You may be exhausted by all the details that go into wedding planning, but luckily finding the perfect postage is easy. So, impress your guests before they even open your wedding invitation with the perfectly chosen stamp!